The Yenching Academy’s flagship event, the Yenching Global Symposium (YGS), is a continuation of this mission. Hosted on the Peking University campus every spring, the four-day event is comprised of engaging lectures, panel discussions, and interactive sessions about China’s impact on the world and the influence that the world has on China. Each year, the Symposium features prominent Chinese and international scholars, along with leading professionals from a wide range of fields. These leaders of today will share their insights with their potential counterparts: 200 students and young professionals from around the world with a noted passion for China in their work and research.
Last year, more than 2,200 applications were received, making YGS one of the most competitive academic conferences in Asia. The 75 selected delegates, hailing from 30 countries and speaking 35 languages, joined 125 Yenching Scholars to create a cross-disciplinary gathering of rising global leaders.
Application Process: Yenching Global Symposium 2018 application is now open. The application for Yenching Global Symposium 2018 is divided into the following sections:
You will have to submit Personal information, Education and field information, Conference information, Contact information, CV (1-2 pages) / English scores and Short answers to the following questions (250 words):
- How will attending the Yenching Global Symposium help you achieve your goals?
- What is the most interesting thing you’ve done in the past two years?
- Renaissance, this year’s theme, identifies four different expressions of ren. Please select one that resonates with your field of interest and discuss how it relates to China’s place in a global future. (Please do not be limited to the interpretations on the website, we encourage independent thought).
- It’s the second day of the Yenching Global Symposium. You’re waiting in line for lunch. What are you chatting about with the person next to you?
- A journalist visits the organization you work for in 2022. She says she has an opportunity to ask the Chinese premier a question at the annual “Two Sessions” gathering, and asks for your advice on what to ask. What do you tell her and why?
- Young professionals and graduate students of any nationality are eligible to apply.
- Holder of an undergraduate degree in any field (by December 31, 2017).
- Available for the entirety of the conference from April 12th-15th, 2018 (and available for any required travel time to and from Beijing).
- Have not attended any of the previous Yenching Global Symposiums.
- International English proficiency test score (at least IELTS 7/TOEFL 100/Cambridge 180/CEFR C1), if the applicant does not have significant, long-term experience using English in a professional or academic setting (2+ years).
- No older than 30 (by April 15th, 2018). However, if from a country where military service is mandatory, then no older than 32 (by April 15th, 2018).
Organizers: Peking University, Beijing, China
Event Dates: April 12th – 15th, 2018
Deadline: November 30, 2017 (Applications close at 11:59 p.m. China Standard Time)
Decisions will be announced by mid-December. If you have any further questions, please contact YGS at follwing email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the official website.