In June 2015 the United States and Pakistan established an Education, Science and Technology Working Group (ESTWG) under the Bilateral Strategic Dialogue. During the official visit of the Prime Minister of Pakistan to meet with President Obama and other US officials on October 22, 2015 the two leaders discussed the proposal to establish US-Pakistan Knowledge Corridor and directed their respective governments to intensify their cooperation in this important framework to achieve the ambitious priority targets of developing high level human capital envisioned in Pakistan’s policy document Vision 2025.
2nd Meeting of the ESTWG was held in 29th February 2016 in Washington DC to develop a joint action plan for operationalizing the US-Pakistan Knowledge Corridor and its salient elements. In general US agreed to support Pakistan’s efforts to strengthen its University system by jointly increasing the number of Pakistani faculty who obtain their Ph.D. in the US universities.
According to the Plan, ten thousand (10,000) Pakistani scholars will join US universities in next ten years as an effort of the Government of Pakistan to train its faculty resources in identified subject areas.
As Phase-I, 1500 scholarships will be financed through Public Sector Development Program (PSDP) and the project has been approved in ECNEC, held on Jan 25, 2017.
How to Apply:
HEC has announced Opportunities for Pakistani Scholars to pursue PhD studies in Top US Universities under US-Pakistan Knowledge Corridor from fall, 2017. The Scholars can apply online through the link
- Register yourself and then login please 9you can eaisil create account at HEC)
Eligibility Criteria: Pakistani citizens/nationals with strong academic histories, committed to returning and serving Pakistan are welcome to apply. Applicants are especially encouraged in these priority fields defined on national need basis: the broad categories are Arts & Humanities; Design & Media; Water Resources & Energy, Social Sciences, Physical Sciences, Business Sciences, Agriculture & Food security, Veterinary Sciences, Engineering & Technology, Emerging Technology, Nano-Technology, Computers, Medical & Allied Health Sciences, Bio-Technology, Telecommunications, Human-made Materials, Robotics, Microelectronics.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be Pakistani citizen/national/AJK nationals who meet other criteria
- Have MS, M Phil or equivalent degree (18 years of formal education) from an accredited university/institution approved by Higher Education Commission, prior to this program, relating to selected fields for the PhD Degree Program
- Have a maximum age of 40 for regular faculty members and researchers of public sector universities/R&D organizations, subject to NOC issuance and for all others maximum age of 35 at the time of closing date of application submission
- Have an active written commitment to serve the universities/R&D organizations in Pakistan after the completion of studies under the scheme. All selected applicants are required to sign a bond to return back and work in Pakistan for a minimum of five years upon completion of degree program
The academic criteria is given below:
- The scholars who have already secured admission or enrolled in PhD program in QS ranked US universities (Overall Ranking), in the above fields may also apply for scholarship. Preference will be given to those applicants who have obtained tuition fee waivers from ranked US universities
Have acquired the valid GRE/GMAT/GRE Subject & TOEFL scores required for admission in US universities. Under the new scoring system, minimum scores of 138 in the verbal and 136 in the quantitative sections are required. However higher scores will be required than the minimum threshold for admission in top QS ranked US universities
- Academic merit based on HEC-AEF calculator will also be applicable
- The percentage weightage is 30% GRE; 30% HEC-AEF; 40% Tuition fee waiver
- Have maximum 2 Second Divisions throughout the academic career
- Have no 3rd Division or grade D in his/her career
- Not less than 50% marks in academic career
The grant will be offered for maximum period of 5 years on the basis of academic merit, & US university acceptance letter. The grant will not cover the tuition fee. HEC reserves the right to postpone or cancel the grant at any stage.
Please note that HEC attested documents are not required with the application. Only send the print of online application form, duly signed before the deadline, at the HEC address given in the advertisement. Hard copy of the pre-requisite documents will be required after initial shortlisting & PMU HEC will intimate successful candidates accordingly.
The list of Higher Educations Commission’s recognized top US Universities can be accessed here.
Last Date: December 31, 2017
Higher Education Commission can be reached at or any query feel free to contact HEC Call Centre UAN: +92-51-111-119-432 or at +92-0334-1119432. The Project Management Unit can be accessed at the following email address “firstname.lastname@example.org”.