University of Birmingham is investing in up to 20 fully-funded Global Challenges PhD scholarships, addressing the key global issues of the modern world and inviting the very best applicants to join us in our research.
The university is offering up to 20 fully-funded Global Challenges PhD scholarships, available to UK/EU applicants. Find out more about how to apply, the funding available, and the themes under which the scholarships work below.
A minimum of ten scholarships will be awarded by the selection panel in the first round of scholarships.
“Open all sections”
The Global Challenges themes: The scheme– under the title of ‘Understanding and tackling global challenges’– encompasses twelve themes, with projects involving joint supervision across schools or colleges:
- Engineering and technology in development contexts (including infrastructure);
- Urbanisation (including global cities);
- Digital technology for inclusive growth;
- Sustainable agriculture (including food security);
- Unintended consequences of aid;
- Mental health and wellbeing;
- Migration and displacement;
- Shocks, security, risks and resilience;
- Building effective and inclusive institutions;
- Maternal and child health;
- Vaccines and infectious disease (including antimicrobial resistance);
Apply directly via the University of Birmingham Postgraduate application system, the Postgraduate portal, by clicking ‘Apply online’ on university website.
Within the application, at the ‘Programmes open for Admission’ page, please select ‘PhD Global Challenges FT’.
Please detail the advertised supervisor and project title under the ‘Research Information’ section of the application form.
Please note, as a standard application process, you will be asked to submit a proposal as part of your application. Please complete “Global Challenges PhD Scholarship: project title” for this section as you will be applying for an established project by the supervisor.
Successful applicants are expected to start their research project from September 2018.
Applications have now closed for the 2017 academic year. Applications for 2018 will open on 22 December 2017.
Our Global Challenges PhD projects.
Phone No.: +44 -121-414-3344
Last Date: 23 March 2018